Friday, November 16, 2012

A History Lesson: the musical

As it's fast approaching, I will excitedly admit that Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  I love cooking the big feast and watching everyone fade away, one by one.  Years of experience has revealed that it is pretty unsafe to be washing sharp utensils while under the influence of turkey, so this year I plan on partaking in the nap portion of the day. 

I am also excited for the baby to be introduced to this kind of over-the-top gluttony now that he actually puts away a good amount of food.  I am anticipating at least a three hour nap out of him.  Then again, when have expectations actually gotten me anywhere when it comes to my children?  That is, unless I expect destruction, an injury, embarrassment, or a very affectionate hug (that in reality is one of the big boys trying to squeeze tight enough to injure me, so perhaps shouldn't even be in a separate category).

At this point, RJ can only say the words popcorn ("pop pop") and dog, neither of which I will be serving up this year...  but maybe I can teach him to make gobble sounds by Thursday. 

With the kids in preschool for the first time this year -- praise God they're getting a classroom setting before kindergarten comes! -- we were invited to school to take part in their celebrations for the upcoming holiday.  Leonardo and Gavin are in separate classrooms so we had them choose who would go to watch them perform, daddy or RJ and I.

*fighting over daddy for approximately two hours*

Leonardo chose me!  *ahem.  leave me to my delusions, will you?*

So the night before the festival, Leonardo is going on and on about the play they will perform and here is the conversation:

LEONARDO:  And we come in on a boat, and we see America.  And we go to America and we eat with all of our buddies!
GAVIN:  Oh, Leo.  What is America?
LEONARDO:  It's just for our play at school.
ME:  No, no, no, no, no, no, no!  America is where we live.
LEONARDO:  WHAT?  This is America?
ME:  Uh-huh.  Yes, it is.
LEONARDO:  *stretches his hands outward with his palms cupped, just stunned*  This is America!  This looks just like America!  Whoohooo!
GAVIN:  *smugly points at Leo*  See?  Told ya!

We're not really sure why, but lots of conversations in our house end with "See?  Told ya!"  Sometimes it's followed by "I know everything" but always, always, always the person that says it has had absolutely nothing to do with telling anyone anything up until that point...

The play that Leonardo's class performed made me cry.  I am a mom and these are my babies.  Well, one of them.  Whatever.  I just hope no one got me on video. 

Here is the dramatic performance, by Room 1:

the pilgrims come in on a ship and yell, WE SEE AMERICA!!!
the Indians, on land yell, WE SEE A SHIP!!!
WE SEE AMERICA!
WE SEE A SHIP!
the pilgrims land and yell, WE'RE HUNGRY!  WE DON'T FEEL GOOD!
the Indians have a solution, COME FEAST WITH US!

aaaaaand, scene!

Then there was music.  Fortunately, I got to pop over to Gavin's class and see him as well.  In total, over the last 24 hours I have heard the following performed privately and in public:

1 little, 2 little, 3 little Indians (about 100 times) immediately followed by
1 little, 2 little, 3 little Pilgrims (rough estimate of 72) IMMEDIATELY followed by
1 little, 2 little, 3 little turkeys (feels like a million) followed by
1 little, 2 little, 3 little insert any word here, including ones that do not exist.  Do NOT question the validity of the word because the explanation will be more singing of the song, until you admit that you finally understand it.  Make sure you use the "light bulb" expression or this plan will FAIL.
followed by Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. 

Now, in my head I have already decided that Twinkle, Twinkle is being sang to represent the Indians and their strong bond and spiritual connection with nature.  And after the accuracy of the play, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on this symbolism. 

If you don't agree, you're more than welcome to ask my children what it means...







No comments:

Post a Comment